In 1873, the Chickasaw Baptist Association started a mission church named Fredonia Baptist with Rev. J. Boswell as its pastor. A small building was constructed that was later consumed by fire in 1906. The members of Fredonia voted to rebuild in Ingomar on the site of the old church building, where Fredonia stands today.
For many years the church held worship services twice a month, but as membership grew and the needs of the congregation expanded, Fredonia felt the need to call a full-time pastor. On August 11, 1968, the church broke ground for a parsonage, which led to the calling of the church’s first full-time pastor, Bro. Rex Yancy, who began serving in January 1969.
The buildings have continued to grow to meet the needs of the church from the first sanctuary. We have added: the fellowship hall, in 1974; the education wing, in 1983; the current sanctuary, in 1992; the Family Life Center, in 1997; a new parsonage, in 2003; and our Children’s Building in February 2009. All these buildings have been added to help Fredonia minister to the people in our community and to spread the good news of Jesus Christ.
The future is encouraging as we recognize that the members of Fredonia Baptist Church realize the promise that Jesus gave to His followers almost 2000 years ago that He would ‘build His church.’